Thursday, January 12, 2006

Half-way Grown-up, sort-of!

This has been one crazy week! I thought my month-long school break would be a time of relaxation--of reading novels, eating chocolate, knitting and watching netflix movies. Huh, yeah Lori--great call on that one because the dream, as usual, is so far from the reality its scary...

The reading novels...In anticipation of this extended break, I put myself on the waiting lists for quite a few books at the LA Public Library. If you're not familiar--it's a great system where you just add your name to the books catalog list online and then they send it to your local branch and email you so you know to go pick it up. There were several books on the NY Times bestseller list and a few LA Times book review books that I wanted to read and they had gigundo waiting lists (you are number 344 and there are 40 copies available for borrowing etc) so I put my name on those lists in November. Then I went on in December and added some other books that were less in demand. Well, be careful what you wish for folks because I now have about 20 books to read before Jan 27th--when they are all due. And, since they are in demand I'm not sure I can even renew them...

So I've been using the bookstand and doing some knitting while I read. Because, um, I still haven't finished some Christmas presents....Yes I know it is January. And no they are not for next year. They are the 2005 edition. I'm aiming for Chinese New Year, maybe--that's in February right? One present I did finish on time was that plaid wrap I've been showing you bits of over the last month. I'm quite pleased with it--so pleased that I may have to make one exactly like it for myself...In like October 2007 when I finish all my current projects. I gave it to my husband's aunt on Saturday when we had our "Christmas."


Also, I've been trying to work in a few wool hats for kids. Afghans for Afghans is desperately trying to gather 500 wool hats for children by January 20th. They received a donated airplane trip or something of that nature and would like to fill it. Check out their website. Even if you don't have time now to knit anything up, they will be collecting wool hats, mittens and other items later in the year. Even with the new postage hike, one wool hat doesn't cost much to ship in an envelope!

Speaking of that Christmas get-together with Tristan's Aunt Marilyn and her husband Ken... Ken lived in Alaska for a while and he bought a beaver pelt at some market there--fresh off the beaver folks--and commissioned someone to make him a hat out of it. Only it turns out it takes 2 beaver pelts to make a hat-who knew? So now we know for next time. This is Tristan modeling said hat...Hey folks, don't judge, I only married into this family...



So when I haven't been knitting or reading or dining with relatives, I've been packing because...drumroll please (or eggroll, those are tastier, uumm, eggrolls)...we bought a condo. Yes it is official, I own property--and a mortgage. Does this mean I am a sort-of, almost grown-up? Next thing you know I'll have a Roth IRA and an investment strategy. Wait, no I won't--we have to pay the mortgage.

The condo is in Hollywood but close to Weho and eveything important--it's in a 1950s building with only a small number of units. It's a huge 2 bedroom and 2 full bath and it has a huge kitchen, hardwood floors and a woodburning fireplace. It is actually big enough to have dinner parties--whoohoo! So now I have a month to pack up the apartment--escrow closes Feb 10th. At least I was able to watch "Out of Africa" while I packed up the living room. I've been packing the breakables first--surrounding them with yarn and quilting fabric, so much more environmentally friendly than packing peanuts! Magellan has been helping me by making sure there is nothing in the crates and boxes before I try to fill them up. He is so helpful that way...So exciting but now I've got lots to do before my classes start Jan 25th. If I actually know you, email me for pictures of the condo--don't want to put it up on the 'internets' while someone else is still living there....


Oh, I have been eating some Stauffer's chocolate holiday stars--a real Central PA Christmas treat--dark chocolate covered graham crackers shaped like stars and sprinkled with white non-pareil dots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new condo, Lori. Email me to explain how you managed that one -- it's a bloomin' miracle to find something affordable where you live!

I LOVE the Annie shawl/scarf. You did a brilliant job.