Sunday, December 04, 2005

Count down to, um, everything?

Laurie, Crazy Aunt Purl, posted an "internets" quiz on her page a few days ago and I've decided to take it since my finals this semester are actually all papers and maybe I have a little lack-of-test anxiety? Anywho...

Ten random things you might not know about me.
1. I hate to throw out coffee left in the pot
2. I will microwave yesterday's coffee and
then promptly forget about it until I go
to microwave something else,
hours later
3. I was once a model in a fashion show at a mall
4. I won a college scholarship from the NRA BUT
I abhore guns (will take their money though...)
5. I can sing "Silent Night" in Japanese
6. I only paint my toenails in "Firehouse Red"
7. I sometimes interrupt myself when I'm speaking
8. I love to straighten-up/clean other people's
houses but hate cleaning my own
9. I want to retire to a cabin on an island off
the coast of Maine and do nothing but knit,
spin yarn and bake zucchini bread while
singing folk songs all the live long day...
10. Sometimes I wish I smoked just to make
conversation with people when I go out "to
get some air" at parties

NINE places I've visited:
1. Monaco
2. Switzerland
3. France--once as a pseudo-chaperone!
4. Belgium
5. The Bahamas
6. Belize
7. Cozumel
8. Hawaii
9. New Orleans--and hope to again someday soon...

EIGHT ways to win my heart:
1. Make me pancakes!
2. Drive me places--I too HATE to drive, Laurie!
3. Vacuum my house
4. join me for an impromptu ice cream run
5. Not laugh at my silk scarf fetish
6. ask me how my cats are doing
7. tell me "I don't mind if you sing along with
the radio"
8. email me silly animal pictures

SEVEN things I want to do before I die
1. Visit Angor Wat in Cambodia (I had a dream
about it once)
2. make a baked alaska
3. finish my own wedding quilt (still in squares
and I've been married a year and a half)
4. be someone's doting aunt
5. drink coffee in the original starbucks and
remark, loudly, that the coffee is sooo much
better at the Starbucks around the corner from
my house...
6. make a little vegetable garden where onions and
peppers are verboten
7. Take my dad to Germany and visit as many cuckoo
clock shops as he wants...

SIX things I'm afraid of:
1. earthquakes
2. running out of kitty litter when it's too hot
to leave the house
3. losing my teeth and having to get dentures
4. that my sister might be better at something
than I am
5. that Tristan will die first
6. that Ben & Jerry's will stop making Chunky Monkey

FIVE things I don't like
1. big honking SUVS
2. bigots
3. peppers and onions
4. people who feel it is necessary to own more than
one home when so many people live in cardboard
boxes...
5. the book Wuthering Heights--only time I ever
resorted to Cliff's notes

FOUR ways to turn me off
1. be bitter and cynical
2. force your religion on me
3. swear in front of children
4. eat veal

THREE Things I do every day
1. Knit (well, I try to)
2. Read a book before bed (at least one chapter)
3. open the fridge at least twice without taking
anything out and I then get a glass of water
instead

TWO things that make me happy:
1. when Tristan makes me "movie popcorn" in
our popcorn popper (even though he knows I'm only
pretending I don't know how to make it myself)
2. going to get the mail--there's always hope that
there will be something great in that little box!

ONE thing on my mind right now:
1. how good does my paper (that's due tomorrow) really have to be to maintain my grade for the class? Should I be working on it or sleeping right now?

Oh and a knitting update:

I found a yahoo group, clothsforkatrina, that is collecting knit and crocheted facecloths/handcloths that they are sending to Hurricane Katrina survivors, along with soap. Since I had some extra Sugar 'n Cream laying around I decided to make one as a "reward" for finishing yet another page of my paper. I used Drew the Crochet Dude's free pattern "sunshine dishcloth" from his blog. Thought I would make yet another forray into crocheting, just for fun. I'll snap a photo tomorrow. Also, I started the daisy mohair cardigan from the Vogue Knitting holiday issue (the picture where the chic is wearing a teal satin dress and a huge black feather hat). I strung 250 black beads onto the Karabella lace mohair and made 2 pattern repeats so far. It looks pretty cool so far (photo tomorrow as well-I'm too tired to get out the camera). Also, saw on the Knitzilla email list that there's a new yarn shop opening up on Franklin in Los Feliz, a block east of Vermont called The Little Knittery. Maybe I'll have to go check that out this week, since I lost my #3 circs and I need them to finish a project.

Maybe I'll just type one more paragraph of that paper before I go to bed since it is almost 4 AM! only 4 more days in the semester, yikes!

2 comments:

tk said...

oh.... can you come and clean my house.... pretty please...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lori. I just became a doting aunt this week. My younger brother and his wife had a baby. It's our first grandkid/nephew in the family. His name is Camden Ryan, weighed half an ounce shy of NINE POUNDS, and is a really swell looking baby if I do say so myself, and I wouldn't say he was if he wasn't.

I'm in L.A. visiting for the birth and Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll see you next time I'm in town. For now, it's all Camden, all the time. Take care and happy holidays!