Friday, December 02, 2005

In the land where yarn is my slave....

I have spent the past week hard at work on my papers. Or maybe this is just something I tell myself. Because you see, I still have so much more to write but I don't know why because I've spent hours in front of the computer since Monday. Yes, strange things have been happening because suddenly I have three emails from three different websites telling me my orders have shipped, and what, are they all yarn? that I ordered? Why yes, they do appear to be of the fiber persuasion. The furry little beauty below was a free gift from the knitting gods. (Ok, it was a free give-away from mary maxim that I sent away for a few weeks ago). I have no idea what I'm going to do with it--a scarf for charity perhaps? It is brown with gold flecks and furry-eyelashy, not my usual milieu but it was free, n'est ce pas?

I have also decided that I am the Ruler of the Yarn in my stash and I can make it take whatever form pleases me. The form this time: crocheted flowers that will somehow be strung into a 12-flower placement. Yes, I said crocheted. Up until Tuesday, I didn't really do crochet. Oh sure, I did edgings a few times, snuck a few crochet cast-ons on the side but that doesn't make me a crocheter, does it? Well, I decided to expand my skills (and put off yet another paper) and voila, this is the result. Now I just have to finish this one and make, um, 7 more sets of 12? At least it is faster than knitting....
Samantha the (perhaps somewhat evil?) Siamese disapproves. She tells me to get back to my papers. Ok, ok just a few more comments...
Laurie is collecting some toys for her internet friend Haji who is currently in Afghanistan. The soldiers and other people on the military base would like to give toys to the children of the village who have basically nothing. You know you have toys laying around too that you'd love to throw her way. I however, cleaned out all of our stuffed animals before we moved from Boston except for two, which Magellan claimed and now they are constantly covered in happy cat drool. So, I decided to make a pink elephant from the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book. I'm using double-stranded Blue Sky Alpaca (which I got at a 75% off sale, thank you very much). I just need to finish the head and trunk and stuff the little guy with polyester fiberfill (or "flufferfill" as I saw on the Blick art supplies site--isnt' that a funny word? I keep saying it over and over again...)
Ok, ok, Samantha, geesh, I'll get back to the darn paper (hate to swear too much in front of her, she is only 12, you know). At least after Dec 8th I'll have nothing to do except knit up the Christmas presents because I quit my job this week and my papers and the semester will be over!

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Lori!!! Love those little crocheted circles!!! They are so dainty and Christmas-y! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Lori said...

thanks ellen. I like them so much that I've decided to do an afghan chaining together those little flowers in bright colors as a spring birthday present for a friend.