Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A rolling knitter gathers no moss....

Whew boy, I've been knitting so much I might just need a new shoulder joint for Christmas (you know, like a hip replacement but except in my shoulder). Magellan has been keeping me on task and helping me decipher patterns:



Someone posted a query on the SnB discussion list, asking what they could do with one 250 gram ball of recycled silk. Here's what I did with my recycled silk from the
breast cancer site store--made a scarf in double moss stitch:


Here's my pattern for the scarf which is 5 1/2 inches wide and about 54 inches long:
Using size 8 needles:

CO: 20 sts--I used the cable cast on b/c I think it makes a neater edge
knit 3 rows of garters stitch
beginning 4th row:
Row 4: * K2, P2 repeat to end*
Row 5: * K2, P2 repeat to end*
Row 6: * P2, K2 repeat to end*
Row 7: * P2, K2 repeat to end*

Repeat Rows 4-7 until you are about an inch away from the end and then do 3 rows of garter stitch and bind off. Very simple but it gives just a hint of texture to this shiny yarn.

I also finished a pair of socks that are a birthday present that someone will get at Christmas because I just didn't finish them in time. Don't look too close, I messed up on the cuff. I did one in October, improvising a bit on a pattern I have but then I didn't start the other one until November and I forgot to look at the first one before I started. I followed the ribbing directions in the pattern and ended up with a K1, P1 rib. At around the heel flap, I thought to look at the first sock and, um, realized I had done a K2, P2 rib on the first one--whoops! I was not about to rip out 9 1/2 inches of cabled sock done on #2 needles to fix it! So now the recipient knows which one is for the right foot and which one is for the left...yeah, that's what I'll tell 'em. I used Brown sheep wildfoote in shades of rust, brown and olive. They are big boot socks, heading for a chilly climate. I really should invest in some sock forms....Close up shot of those never-ending cables. ...



Oh, did you notice the photos are better? Well, that's because I got my birthday present early (it's on Friday)--a new Canon Powershot. It's so slim it fits into even my smallest clutch purse (I had to try it--you know, in case I ever go to the opera and want to take pictures). It's gonna take me about a month to figure out how to use all the settings (it has a "foliage" setting and a "beach" setting--this may just be more exciting than the "baked potato" button on my microwave!).

Ok, back to playing with sticks!

3 comments:

tk said...

The scarf is beautiful. I have a friend who offered up some saris for me to shread up and turn into a usable fiber... but i'm so not ready for that ... i'll just buy some...

Lori said...

yeah, I wouldn't know what to do with those either!

Anonymous said...

I love your titty with the kitty.