Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Too fast, too furious, too flustered?


Only 19 days until Christmas so the needles are a' flyin. I've been mostly working on presents but it seems everytime I see a news story about Toys for Tots or how the survivors of Hurricane Katrina are coping with the coming holidays, I feel the need to do some charity knitting. The piece above is destined for the Pine Ridge Reservation, and hopefully I can finish it in time for it to be a Christmas present at the teen center. I like the orange and yellow tahki cotton classic yarns together and I have some fizzy little yarn to use as fringe at either end that is shades of yellow and orange.

I spent some time yesterday working on the plaid wrap by Annie Modesitt from the Vogue Holiday issue. I just started the third pattern repeat and the wrap has 6 repeats total. But it's going fast and I love the colors. My hope is that I can finish it by like Saturday and then focus my attention on the two sweaters, one sweater vest, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of mittens, a scarf and 9 golf club covers that I need to finish by Christmas. Thank goodness I'm now unemployed. I loaded up the netflix queue with good movies and I'm all set for two weeks of non-stop knitting and crocheting.


I made a few clothsforkatrina this week too. I wanted to try out some crochet patterns (including some free patterns from Drew the crochet dude's site--but I butchered the black round one, turns out I doubled the number of stitches on the last round so it has ruffles, but they're not supposed to be there) and, um, make room for "new stock" that I just ordered. I got a box today from Createforless.com---some plastic canvas that will be the brim of some newsboy-style hats and sugar n'cream yarn for a birthday present that I will be working on AFTER the holidays. Sugar n cream for only $1.49 a ball, minimum of 6 per color and a one pound cone of white for $10.49. So much fun in a box, don't ya just love it? And the boxes that they use are recycled boxes--they reuse ones from their suppliers to reduce waste!
My birthday is coming up soon and hubby informed me that my present is on its way--a new digital camera so hopefully I can post pictures with actual stitch-definition (and without taking 8 shots just to try and get one decent one!) Tonight I have to work on one final project for school then I plan to spend at least an hour or two on that beaded cardigan.

Congrats also to Tami who has joined the world of blogdom.

3 comments:

tk said...

Thanks for the "shout out" Your awesome!
Your list of gifts that you need to finish is insane... good luck!

Ellen Bloom said...

Lori...I figure if we all comment on each others blogs, then we'll all seem popular! I really like that woven knitting you're doing! It looks fantastic. Try to bring it to the WeHo SnB on Thursday. I'd love to see it in person!

Lori said...

will do ellen!